Austral Wright Metals has been a leader in the stocking and distribution of non ferrous metals since the 1930's. Whilst those early beginnings were mainly in the copper and brass sector, over the years Austral Wright continued to add other metals, namely stainless steel, aluminium and high performance alloys. Today a range of stainless steel pipe, stainless steel welded pipe and stainless steel tube is stocked nation wide.
Our Australian national and state warehouses carry a wide range of standard and non-standard stock stainless steel pipe sizes and are fully equipped to supply the unique needs of Australia’s major industries such as pharmaceutical, food, sinks, white goods and automotive components.
Technical expertise together with our association with the worlds’ leading Asian and European mills allow us to continue to satisfy the most stringent needs of today’s quality conscious and competitive markets.
Stainless steel pipe
Our standard stock range will extensively cover the size range from 15NB to 600NB SCH10S.
Stock is in alloy 316/L grade stainless steel to ASTM A312 for a superior corrosion resistance for those more corrosive environments.
Standard lengths are 6m
Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings and Accessories
Fittings are supplied to ASTM A403 and flanges to AS2129/AS4087 and ANSI 150 ASME B16.5.
A wide range of fittings are available including:
- elbows, stub ends, reducers, tees, caps and flanges.
Stainless steel pipe in pharmaceutical applications
Stainless steel pipes are commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry for various applications due to their exceptional properties, including corrosion resistance, cleanliness, and durability. Here are some of the key uses of stainless steel pipes in the pharmaceutical sector:
- Product Transport: Stainless steel pipes are employed for the transfer of pharmaceutical ingredients and products within the manufacturing process. They are preferred for their non-reactive nature, ensuring that the purity and quality of the pharmaceuticals are maintained during transportation.
- Hygienic Piping Systems: The pharmaceutical industry demands high levels of cleanliness and hygiene. Stainless steel pipes are easy to clean and sterilize, making them ideal for applications where contamination must be avoided. They are used in hygienic piping systems to ensure product integrity.
- Process and Utility Piping: Stainless steel pipes are used for both process and utility piping in pharmaceutical facilities. They can transport various fluids, including water, steam, purified gases, and solvents, all of which must meet strict quality standards.
- Cleanroom Applications: In pharmaceutical cleanrooms, which have stringent cleanliness requirements, stainless steel pipes are used for HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems to maintain a controlled environment free from contamination.
- Purified Water Systems: The pharmaceutical industry relies on high-purity water for many processes. Stainless steel pipes are used in purified water systems to ensure the water remains free from contamination and impurities.
- Sterile Manufacturing: Stainless steel pipes play a vital role in maintaining the sterility of pharmaceutical manufacturing processes, especially in aseptic filling and sterile manufacturing environments.
- CIP and SIP Systems: Clean-in-Place (CIP) and Steam-in-Place (SIP) systems are essential for cleaning and sterilizing pharmaceutical equipment and piping. Stainless steel pipes are designed to withstand the high temperatures and chemicals used in these processes.
- API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) Production: Stainless steel pipes are used in the production of APIs, where the purity and integrity of the substances are of utmost importance.
- Bioprocessing: In the biopharmaceutical sector, stainless steel pipes are used for transporting and processing biologics, cell cultures, and other sensitive products.
- GMP Compliance: Stainless steel pipes help pharmaceutical companies meet Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and other regulatory requirements by ensuring the quality and integrity of pharmaceutical products.
The choice of stainless steels grade and the surface finish of the pipes are critical in pharmaceutical applications to prevent contamination and maintain hygiene standards. Additionally, the installation and maintenance of stainless steel piping systems must adhere to stringent protocols and guidelines to ensure product quality and safety.
Stainless steel piping systems
Stainless steel pipes can be made by two methods to produce either stainless steel welded pipe or stainless steel seamless pipe. The difference may be obvious by the names, but how are they both made?
Stainless steel welded pipes
Firstly hot rolled annealed stainless steel is manufactured, commonly called hrap stainless steel strip, to the required wall thickness.
This strip is then roll formed into a pipe and is longitudinally welded. The welding methods can be either straight seam welded pipe and spiral welded pipe.
Stainless steel seamless pipe
These pipes are manufactured by the hot extrusion of stainless steel billets. Further downstream processing include cold drawing and straightening operations.
Check out below our comprehensive range of stainless steels products of pipe sizes, wall thickness, outside diameter and fittings to suit your specific requirements