Copper can be a good choice for a splashback installed on your kitchen walls in certain situations. Whether in domestic surroundings or commercial business such as cafes. Copper is known for its attractive appearance, and it can add a warm and stylish touch to your kitchen or bathroom. It has a distinctive, reddish-brown colour that can develop a natural weathering over time, giving it a unique and aged look.
However, it’s important to note that copper can patina or tarnish over time, and some people may like the aged appearance while others prefer the shiny look of polished copper. If you choose to install copper, you may need to periodically clean and maintain it to preserve its appearance.
The advantages of a copper splashback
Copper splash backs offer several advantages, making them a popular choice for kitchen design. Here are some of the advantages of using copper for your splashback:
Copper has a warm and timeless aesthetic that adds a touch of elegance to any kitchen. Its unique color and sheen can complement a variety of styles, from modern to traditional. It can also be a perfect contrast to the kitchen painted wall.
Copper is a durable material that can withstand daily wear and tear in the kitchen.
Copper has natural antimicrobial properties, meaning it can inhibit the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms. This can contribute to a more hygienic kitchen environment.
Over time, copper develops a unique weathering texture, which is a thin layer that forms on the surface due to oxidation. Many people appreciate the evolving appearance of copper as it ages, adding character to the kitchen. With sufficient weathering the copper will turn a green colour.
Copper is a recyclable material, making it an environmentally friendly choice. Choosing recycled copper for your splashback can further reduce its environmental impact.
It’s important to note that while copper splash backs have these advantages, they also require proper care to maintain their appearance. Regular cleaning and, if desired, applying protective coatings can help preserve the aesthetic qualities of copper over time.
How do you maintain copper splashbacks?
Maintaining copper splash backs involves a combination of regular cleaning, protective measures, and occasional maintenance to ensure that they retain their aesthetic appeal. Here are some tips for maintaining your splashback:
- Regular Cleaning:
- Whilst copper surfaces are relatively low maintenance, a care and clean regime is required.
- Wipe the surface regularly with a soft, damp cloth to remove dust, dirt, and any splatters.
- Avoid abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that can scratch or damage the copper finish.
- For more thorough cleaning, mix a solution of mild dish soap and warm water. Use a soft cloth or sponge to clean the surface, and then rinse with clean water.
- Copper tends to develop a natural weathering over time, which some people appreciate for its unique look. However, if you prefer to maintain the original shine, periodic polishing is necessary.
- Use a copper cleaner. Apply the paste to the surface, let it sit for a few minutes, and then buff with a soft cloth to restore the shine.
- Protective Coatings:
- Consider applying a protective coating or sealant to the copper surface. This can help prevent tarnishing and make cleaning easier.
- Be sure to choose a coating that is suitable for copper and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals:
- Steer clear of abrasive or acidic cleaning agents, as they can damage the copper finish. This includes substances like lemon juice, vinegar, and harsh chemical cleaners.
- If a spill occurs, clean it up promptly to prevent any potential damage to the copper.
Our range of copper at Austral Wright Metals
Austral Wright Metals is an Australian company that specialises in the supply of copper, brass, and other non-ferrous metals. They provide a wide range of products for various industries, including manufacturing, construction, and engineering. Common copper products offered by Austral Wright Metals include: